By courtesy of
is a tape calculator software (also called "financial calculator", "desk calculator" or
"adding machine") written in Java™. Doing calculations with SuperbCalc
is as easy as with your classic tape calculator, but with more
You have your tape of paper that gets written, showing
you the full history of the calculations made, and you can print it
with your printer, you can cut it and also throw it away.
But you can also insert comments, check/uncheck each line, copy &
paste a single number or a whole tape into your preferred word
processing or spreadsheet application, and more.
With SuperbCalc you can correct the numbers
directly in the tape, and it will automatically recalculate the whole tape!
Note: SuperbCalc is a
financial calculator (or accounting calculator), it's not meant to be used as a
- Calculations are made with arbitrary-precision signed decimal
numbers matching the IEEE 754R standard (the maximum precision is
64 bits, corresponding to 15-16 significant digits).
- It can use its full decimal precision or rounding with 0, 2, 3, 4
or 6 decimals.
- Three rounding modes: down, half-up and up.
- Percent calculations.
- Memory functions.
- Grand Total function.
- Annotations can be made on every line of the tape.
- Each line can be checked/unchecked. Four check symbols
available of different colors.
- The tape automatically expands to use all the space available on
your screen and shows a scrollbar when there's no more space.
- Two colors tape writing.
- The SuperbCalc keyboard layout mimics your computer keyboard layout.
- Main menu for easy access to all the functions.
- Virtually unlimited tape length.
- Virtually unlimited number of cut tapes on screen.
- Tape printing, with print preview and page setup.
- Save tape on a file, open a file in a new tape.
- Clipboard operations, either with the single number on the
display, a single line of the tape or the whole tape.
- Saved files can be opened by most spreadsheets, specifying to use
the TAB character as separator.
- Saved files can be opened by most word processors, and tables can
be automatically created from them.
- Tapes copied in the clipboard can be pasted directly in most
spreadsheets and word processors.
- Integrated software update via Internet. Can use a proxy server.
- The look and feel is configurable.
- All the colors and fonts are configurable.
- The numeric system used is configurable: European, Arabic,
Devanagari and others (the fonts chosen must support it).
- The locale is configurable.
- The tape is editable, with automatic recalculation.
SuperbCalc can be operated with your computer
keyboard using the numeric keypad and nearby keys. In fact, the
SuperbCalc main interface mimics the right part of your keyboard, to
help typing. There's no need to use the mouse for the most common
operations (you can still use it if you want, though). A context
menu shows all the available operations at a glance.
Like any other "adding machine", SuperbCalc requires you to press an operational
button after any number that you enter, for example to calculate (5+8) you must press
the following keys in sequence: 5 + 8 + =
See the integrated help to see some example of the
calculations that SuperbCalc can perform with their corresponding key presses.
Click an image below to see the screen shot at full size.
|Text comments to
checked lines, show dependencies
|Using the Arabic
the tape and different check symbols
Click here to download the version 1.08 for free (686 KB).
SuperbCalc requires the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5 or later to run,
you can download it for free from the
Sun Java website.
The full license can be seen here.
In simple words: SuperbCalc is copyrighted software,
you can use it for free for personal or commercial use, but
redistribution is not permitted. See the actual license for details.
SuperbCalc doesn't need to be installed.
Click on the link above to
download the software and save the file somewhere on your disk (for
example your Desktop). If Java is
correctly installed you can just double-click the SuperbCalc icon to
launch the program.
SuperbCalc should work on any Java enabled operating system, such as
7/Vista/XP/2000/Me/98, Linux® (better
with Gnome® or KDE®),
and Mac OS® X.
For any question, clarification, bug or typo, contact me at the following address:
email@example.com or visit the
SuperbCalc Community Forum.
SuperbCalc™ is a trademark of Roberto Mariottini. For more
please read this notice.
Java™ and Solaris™ are trademarks of
Windows® is a trademark of Microsoft Corp.
Linux® is a trademark of Linus Torvalds.
Gnome® is a trademark of the GNOME Foundation.
KDE® is a trademark of KDE e.V.
Mac OS® is a trademark of Apple Computer Inc.
SuperbCalc uses my
free Java components,
utilities and libraries, distributed under a BSD-like license.
Copyright © 2006, 2010 Roberto Mariottini, Nichelino,
Italy. All rights